Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dented Armour

Whenever I think about the armour of God (belt of truth, breastplate of righteousness, feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace, shield of faith, helmet of salvation, sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God), I get this image of a cheap plastic child's Roman gladiator costume. I guess that comes from too many Sunday School classes where teachers tried to hold our attention by using cheap props and visual aids from the dollar store.

When I woke up this morning, reminded of the aftermath of this week and the challenges we've faced, I was reminded once again to "put on the armour of God." Only this time, for some strange reason, I had a different image in my mind. You know that classic image of a surgeon saying, "Scalpel." And the assistant hands him the scalpel? "Scissors." And the assistant hands him the scissors?

I had this image that I was saying, "breastplate of righteousness," "helmet of salvation," etc., and Jesus was handing me each piece as I said the name. Only it wasn't plastic Roman gladiator costume pieces, it was steel armour - dented, scratched, dinged and beat up. I looked up at Jesus, confused, and He said, "You're in a battle. You're always in a battle. Did you expect it to look pristine?"

And I don't know why, but I laughed. It was one of those "Duh!" moments. And Jesus laughed with me.

1 comment:

Nikita said...

You are of great inspiration! I do admire you. I hope you the birthday present will be sorted out soon -and the car-"incident" will get solved too. My car -as a student - was stolen too, found about 3 days later by the highway...wheels removed, dented etc. My heart was broken...but things like that makes one a stronger person, although it is difficult to keep the spirits high when it happens. God bless you for being positive!