Monday, May 3, 2010

My New Love

So... as you know we just got back from our first South African wedding, but what you don't know is that I am now in love with the Soutpansberg mountains.

We actually crossed the Tropic of Capricorn on our way to Louis Trichardt. Soon afterwards we were surrounded by macadamia nut orchards, banana plantations, avocado trees, guavas, litchis, papayas...

We stayed at a guest house halfway up the Soutpansberg. There were monkeys in the trees, lush green foliage on the forest floor, morning glories, scary spiders, horrifically huge wasps and palms everywhere... a small piece of heaven in the northeast corner of South Africa (except for the spiders).

I know everyone talks about Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban, but if you ever find yourself in South Africa you simply must visit the Limpopo Province as well. It's stunning.

4 comments:

Nikita said...

I used to have a good friend and she lived in Louis Trichardt years ago..now in New Zealand and I have the most fantastic photos taken in Louis Trichardt..I'm absolutely jealous!

Anna said...

Ja, ek hou baie van Louis Trichardt. Dis my nuwe gunstelinge stad. :-)

Nikita said...

As jy van Louis Trichardt hou, gaan volgende keer Graskop/Pelgrimsrus toe. Pelgrimsrus is 'n historiese dorpie en die Royal Hotel is daar...pragtig! Visit the Royal Hotel at Pilgrimsrest! Beautiful...my world :)

Anna said...

Ja, ek wil Pilgrimsrus besoek. Dis op my lys van plekke om te besoek.