Monday, May 3, 2010

My First South African Wedding

I survived the wedding without being a stupid American! I can safely report that Afrikaans weddings aren't that different than American weddings, except to say that the ceremony was not as much of a Hollywood production, and the reception went on for six hours (I should have guessed - South Africans are very relational, and the reception was more like a long kuier than a formal affair). And, as usual, the food was stunning (never underestimate the cooking skills of the Afrikaners... you will have trouble keeping the weight off!).

I was excited that I actually understood about half of what the pastor said... I guess my Afrikaans is coming along (albeit slowly). But the jokes that the master of ceremonies told at the reception - those went waaayy over my head.

Hendri and Riana - you are a gorgeous couple and we wish you all the best! Veels Geluk!

2 comments:

wakeupcowboys said...

Thrilled that you had that experience. Ben said the first dance was "fantastic!" He was so very expressive.

Nikita said...

Glad you enjoyed the wedding and must agree with you about food/cooking...we are "the best" :)