Thursday, May 27, 2010

What Kind of Servant are You?

My friend Muriel reminded me that the difference between "servitude" and "servanthood" is the difference between a "have to" and a "get to." And I realised that I've had a bad attitude lately.

I've been helping renovate a guesthouse for the World Cup. The profits fund a hospice and clinic out in Soshanguve. It's nice to know that my work has purpose, but at the same time, it's hard work! My mindset of late has been:
  • I have to scrub grime off shower tiles
  • I have to scrape paint drips off tiles with a razor blade and acetone
  • I have to scrape water damage off walls and seal them
  • I have to pull a hairball out of the shower drain
I began grumbling and complaining to God when suddenly the image of a quadriplegic came to mind. I can't imagine not being able to walk, to feel, to make my hands do what my brain wants them to do. I broke down and wept, because somewhere in the world, there are people who actually want to do what I've been doing, and that made me feel ashamed. I had to repent of my sour attitude and I'm now trying to focus on the joys:
  • I get to live in one of the most vibrant countries on the planet
  • I get to do work that (indirectly) makes a difference in peoples' lives
  • I get to listen to exotic birds and work in a lush garden setting
  • I get to meet amazing people and learn from them
Thanks, Muriel, for the important reminder.

1 comment:

wakeupcowboys said...

Thanks, Muriel and Angela.