Sunday, May 23, 2010

'n Afrikaanse Avontuur

Yesterday we went to the lake outside of the Centurion mall to get out of town and just relax. Okay, so that's not the most relaxing place to be, but it's fun for the kids, and there's an Exclusive Bookstore. However, I seem to have an uncanny ability to accidentally be at venues where large crowds of people have gathered (remember the Fifa Ticket sales at the Brooklyn mall?).

Yesterday, as it turns out, Jacaranda 94.2 (one of the main radio stations here) was hosting a concert. Bok van Blerk was there, Heinz Winckler was there, Prince Victor and the Rasta Rebels was there, and who knows who else. I happened to get there just as Bok van Blerk started singing, "De la Rey." And if you've never been the only American in a crowd full of Afrikaners singing "De la Rey," you have yet to live.

Then Heinz Winckler came up. He said, "If you're English, shout, 'I'm English' " And I'm thinking, yeah, right. Even I'm not that stupid. As it was, only a few people made some noise. Then he said, "As jy 'n Afrikaner is, skreeu 'Ek is Afrikaans.' " And the crowd went wild. "Is daar andere tale?" Nope. Oh wait, one lone German screamed, "Ich bin Deutscher!"

So today, after church, we went to Mugg and Bean for coffee and a light lunch, and guess who was sitting at the table next to us? Yup. Bok van Blerk. Two days in a row... and now I can't get "De la Rey" out of my head.

Dan reminded me that I wanted to have an adventure yesterday. I guess I shouldn't have expected it to be in English!

2 comments:

Dan Erickson said...

Yes, and you keep singing "De La Rey" at the top of your lungs, sometimes in the munchkin voice.

Nikita said...

Great! One English to join us in the De La Rey camp...LOL! where are the others....[haha]