Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Modern Day Psalm

I just finished a Bible Study on the Psalms, and I realised that I tend to only praise God when things are going well. The writer of the study said that we are all psalmists, and to think back on our frustrations, celebrations, highs and lows, and then write a psalm, as psalms are for "real people with real problems." So, without further ado, here's my psalm for today:

1. I will praise You, O Lord, when my fridge stops working, because it's winter and the butter is still hard.
2. Even though the milk went bad I won't complain because the fridge was empty anyway. You are our Provider, not Pick n Pay or the compressor on the fridge.
3. I will praise You when it's below freezing outside and South African homes aren't heated. I will praise you while wearing my coat indoors, which is stuffed with a hot water bottle.
4. Yea, though I walk through the valley of low support levels and broken cars and appliances, I will not fear, for YOU WILL PROVIDE.
5. You are my God. I trust in You. I will not be moved (unless it's to stand in front of the braai where it's warm).
6. You have brought me to a (I would say "heavenly" but it's freezing) place, and we will stand in Your strength.
7. You make me to lie under warm duvets and I will praise Your name forevermore.

No comments: