Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tuesday's Reflection

I watched the game between England and Germany on Sunday evening. England scored a second goal, but the referee didn't see it, so it didn't count. Everyone else saw it, the instant replay clearly shows the ball was in, but Fifa doesn't allow instant replay in "The Beautiful Game." Unfair, I cry! Unfair, all the Brits cry! The only one not crying "unfair" is Germany.

And I realised - grace is unfair in exactly the same way. The grace of God freely bestowed upon us through the death of Jesus Christ is completely "unfair." When we benefit from grace we don't seem to complain, however. It's when we have to extend grace that shouts of "unfair" can be heard all across the world.

"Look what he did to me! You want me to forgive that?"
"She irritates me to no end; I can't possibly live in community with her."
"What a corrupt and self-serving leader; he didn't even pass matric. What an idiot!"
"We are on two completely different planes. Can we rather go our separate ways than have to interact?"

But grace says:

"For if you forgive others their transgressions, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you." (Matthew 6:14)
"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." (Romans 12:18)
"I urge then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority..." (I Tim 2:1-2)
"See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many." (Hebrews 12:15)

And yes, it's completely unfair. And I struggle with this.

1 comment:

Understanding Alice said...

true... brilliantly heart stopping, and true :)