Thursday, June 10, 2010

The School Term Ended With a Bang... Literally

Yesterday was the last day of the second school term for my children. They had an assembly in the school hall to close the day. The term leaders for next term were announced, school songs were sung, and there was a speech from the headmaster. Typical school assembly. Except...

One of the Grade Sevens (who sit in the back of the hall) threw a stink bomb. There was a loud bang, the teachers went back to investigate, and one of them yelled, "It's just a stink bomb." So the assembly continued as planned.

"I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart..."
The children began to sing as the smell of rotten eggs began to permeate the hall. "I will enter His courts with praise..." Children began to cough, giggle, plug their noses. Teachers gave dirty looks... you WILL song the song properly and orderly. "I will say this is the day that the Lord has made..." The sulfurous cloud had now permeated the whole hall. "I will rejoice for He has made me glad..."

The whole of Grade Seven was punished and had to stay after school and clean the hall. I think it's funny - there's nothing like the smell of rotten eggs to put one in a spirit of thanksgiving and gladness!

No comments: