Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Things I've Learned This Week

Since we're running a guesthouse for World Cup, I'm temporarily in the hospitality business. I've learned a few things in regards to that:
  1. I love cooking for large groups of people
  2. I do not like making the beds and cleaning the rooms for large groups of people
  3. You can tell a lot about a person by the state of their room
  4. You meet the most amazing people when you run a guesthouse
  5. Men don't order cappuccinos; they order beer
  6. When you have 19 guests and only two of them are women, the whole place takes on a different feel. I feel like I'm treading on sacred "man" ground
  7. If you have a lot of bread heels left over, cut them into cubes and make croutons. They look awesome on the dinner salads
  8. Some people are really gracious
  9. Some people are not
  10. I really, really enjoy trying to make people feel welcome and taken care of, especially if it involves food
  11. Working in the hospitality business is tiring, thankless job. The next time I stay in a hotel/guesthouse/whatever, I will have a greater appreciation for the staff.

5 comments:

Dan Erickson said...

You did some artistic serviette folding too, I believe...

Heather, Rick, and Tendai! said...

hi there... just wondering what mission you guys are with? we are in mozambique working at missionaries as well, we have to come to pretoria later this summer to visit our consulate (well at least it looks like we will have to at this point). Just wondering if you will be keeping your "world cup guesthouse" open past the tournement?
I enjoyed reading your blog, found it via google and will add it to my blog list. you can check out ours at www.rickandheather.blogspot.com
blessings, Heather

Heather, Rick, and Tendai! said...

oh heavens. I just read some more of your blog. Im currently recovering from Malaria and needed to just relax. I havent laughed so hard in a long long time. The post on the veternary hospital made me laugh out loud... thanks so much. I am quite enjoying your blog!!!

Anna said...

Hi Heather, Rick and Tendai! We're with Enterprise International, a division of CRM - Church Resource Ministries. You can check out their websites, www.crmleaders.org and www.enterpriseinternational.org if you're interested.

We won't be running the guesthouse after World Cup, but we have a guest room (and spare beds in the kids' rooms), so if you need a place to stay when you come to Pretoria you're than welcome to stay with us.

I enjoyed your blog. Congratulations on your daughter's adoption! Our youngest is also adopted - from Hong Kong - so we know the nervousness/anticipation/thanksgiving so well! Blessings, Annie

Heather, Rick, and Tendai! said...

Hi again... are you on facebook? If so you can look me up.. or even email us at the email listed on our blog. Id love to chat more some time! I really enjoyed reading your blog- your sense of humor and the things you struggle with about africa living are so many of the same things that drive me nuts- nice to know Im not the only one!!!!
Ill check out both those sites, thanks for the adresses. Funny how a google search brought two north american missionary adoptive moms to the "same place" and NONE of those words were used in the search!! :) God is Good. Blessings to you and your family! Heather