Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wednesday's Reflection

I tried out for a Christmas choir and actually made it. One of the songs we have to learn is the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. I thought I knew the Messiah, but I've never formally sung it. Turns out I only knew the melodies; the alto and mezzo soprano lines are frighteningly - and gloriously - difficult. I've been practising every day for an hour or so and I still don't have the song learned properly.

In my practice the other day, I got to the line, "The kingdom of this world is become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ," and it suddenly dawned on me -
  • the kingdom of fundraising, stolen cars, maddening bureaucracy and trying to obtain temporary resident visas
  • the kingdom of advocating for a son with special needs, trying to raise godly children and find time with my husband after a long day at work
  • the kingdom of gym time, laundry time, cooking time, cleaning time, down time and quiet time
  • the kingdom of worrying about finances, weight, cholesterol and wrinkles
will one day fade away. "The kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ" will take its place. "And He shall reign forever and ever."

It caused me to think about what I'm doing with my time and if that has eternal value. It also gives me hope and strength for the journey.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade - kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith - of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire - may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith the salvation of your souls." - 1 Peter 1:3-9

2 comments:

Nikita said...

At our wedding we had this piece of music instead of the traditional - Wedding March from Mendelssohn.

ROSIE said...

The Hallelujah Chorus makes me weep tears of joy every time I hear it. It is the ultimate worship music...just close your eyes and let it wash over you as the words sink in. He wins! His people will be victorious! He has already obtained this for us...let us walk in that power and joy by His spirit!