Wednesday, April 9, 2008

On Dry Spells and Prayer


This picture was taken at Wonderboom Airport here in Pretoria. I love this picture because I'm in a bit of a dry spell. Every time I sit down to write, I lack inspiration. Not that anything is wrong - work and ministry are plugging along quite nicely. I just don't seem to know what to write about.

I think we all go through dry spells at times. A friend once told me that we probably spend more time in the "wilderness" than on top of the mountain, but those are the times when God speaks to us, teaches us, works on our character. It's important to remain faithful during those times. Wise words (thanks, Jon).

There has also been a lot of death lately. I still miss Grandpa, one month after his death. Dimakatso just died. My friend just lost her mom, and another friend's dad isn't doing well. The echoing thought I've heard from all of them (including myself) is that the people whom we've lost are the ones who most fervently prayed for us, and we don't want that to end. But here's the cool part:

If God is outside of time - if He can see past, present and future at once - then why are those prayers confined to time? Dan's mum once told me she believes that the prayers her grandmother prayed for her didn't stop just because her grandmother died... those prayers are ongoing, so to speak, in God's eyes, who is not confined to mortality and does not let a thing like Death get in His way. And I think she may be right.

This gives me great encouragement through these "dry spells", and I hope it does for you as well. I'm not ready for the scrap heap like the DC-3's in this photo. I'm going to maintain my instruments and head for that runway. When inspiration comes, I want to be ready for take-off.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a fantastic thought, Angela

ROSIE said...

Sis,

I truly do believe prayers are outside time and space.

I also believe that those who have gone to be with the Lord are now part of that "cloud of witnesses surrounding us", cheering us on and interceding for us as we "lay aside everything that entangles us..and run with perserverance the race marked out for us" (Romans 12:1).

Those prayers have never ended. They are just physically a little closer to the Throne of Grace.

Love you,
Rosie

Shawn Stutz said...

Totally get this... that's how I've felt lately as well. I'm listening and learning, but the words are necessarily coming.

Love the pic though...

hotel charlie one said...

Dry spells are a part of life. You state it so well, Angela. Your other blogs make this one so readable, and you, so believable.
The skeleton DC-3s would be at home on the infield track in the movie "CARS."