Thursday, April 24, 2008

Random Thoughts on Marshmallows


I never liked marshmallows. They were sticky, white lumps of jelled sugar goo that had no taste and were reserved for yucky church potluck jelly salads (no offense). UNTIL (there's that word again!) I came to South Africa. You have not tasted a proper marshmallow until you have tasted a South African marshmallow. Soft, fluffy, powdery twisted lumps of sugar... and they come in flavours to boot! - cappuccino, espresso, latte, litchi, mango, strawberry, kiwi, toasted coconut.... If there is a flavour to be had, there is a marshmallow.

I wish my pillows were made of marshmallows. I wish my office chair was made of marshmallows. I wish my shoes were made of marshmallows (not only could I sneak up on people, I could defy gravity with that bounce, that cushion, that soft springiness!). Whoever invented moon boots should have made them out of marshmallows, if you ask me.

You might think I'm strange, that I am obsessing a little too much over C
6H12O6, but that's okay. One of the cool things about moving halfway around the world is discovering new things, new joys, new likes.

I dare you to go out and discover something new today. Even if you've lived in the same town your whole life, go try a new food, visit a new shop, make a new friend, invite someone to coffee, eat ice cream for breakfast... whatever suits you. You might just discover something new to love and wonder how you ever lived without it.

No comments: