Thursday, April 24, 2008

On Peace, Puzzles and Cows


I was thinking today about what a profound sense of peace I have here. I can't even describe it. Yes, it bugs me to no end when I go to the shops and they're stocking shelves during business hours so that I can't push my trolley down the aisle, yes I have begun to drive like a maniac, but truly.... every morning when I wake up and breathe that delicious South African air, I am filled with the most incredible peace.

My life is a jumble of puzzle pieces. I could never make sense of most of it - a random event here, various skills, painful experiences, cool things. It was a mix of the most bizarre talents and circumstances. None of it made sense, there was no coherent theme running throughout, until....

UNTIL. What a powerful word. Until I came to South Africa. And then, the puzzle pieces began to fit, certain events in my life began to make sense, random skills became useful. (Yes, Lord, You DO have a plan, and what's more, You're far more clever than I am!)

There's a story in I Samuel 5 about the Ark of the Covenant returning to the Israelites, and God speaking to the Philistines through a couple of cows. I love weird stories like this because they fill my heart with such joy and hope. Think about it: if God can use a couple of cows - COWS! - then maybe my jumbled, funky, pieced-together life can be worth something as well.

I can't help it; it makes me smile.

1 comment:

ROSIE said...

UNTIL. Until we see that the Lord in His infinite wisdom is making the most amazing, beautiful quilt out of the patchwork of our lives...that our "scraps" have a greater purpose and a beautiful design!