Tuesday, April 22, 2008

On Friends and Pleasant Surprises

My friend Julie is just dying for me to tell you that - although she is a respectable employee at a large church - she wears shoes with skulls and crossbones on them. Julie emails me almost every day with an encouraging word that makes me smile and feel loved. She is also the sort of friend that will get in my face or sit on me (literally) when I am complaining about life. Everyone needs a friend like Julie.

My friend Jane is the sort of person that - even when you accidentally squirt red icing on her white shirt - won't get mad at you (even when you are expecting company). She is the most amazing teacher. She will also go out of her way to do just about anything for me, from delivering books to having coffee, or helping me figure out how to print photographs from a memory stick. Jane is not afraid to throw grenadilla shells at my head or tell me when I'm wrong. She is one of those rare souls who loves me as I am and always sees the best in me. Everyone needs a friend like Jane.

My friend Josephine takes me to coffee and to babyshowers out in the townships, even though I'm the only one who doesn't speak Sotho, and even though everyone stares at us when we walk in the door. She is the sort of person who will answer embarrassing questions without laughing at me (i.e., "Josephine, I ordered a muffin. What am I supposed to do with the bowl of grated cheese?"). Josephine isn't afraid of what other people think and doesn't seem to let anything get in the way of her convictions. Everyone needs a friend like Josephine.

Sometimes I think it requires a lot more grace on the part of my friends to put up with me than it does for me to put up with them. I am truly blessed to have found some friends here in this amazing country that I love so much (okay, so Julie doesn't live in South Africa, but she may as well, for all the communication that goes on!).

The cool thing is, there are things about each of these friends that absolutely surprises me, and I never would have found them out if I hadn't taken the time to get to know them (or them, me). When you take the time to get past exterior facades, you will almost always be pleasantly surprised. At least... that's my take on life today!

3 comments:

beti said...

so, what are you supposed to do with the cheese?
love you, Beti

Anna said...

First you butter your muffin, then put jam on it, and then the grated cheese on that, which sticks to the jam. It's actually quite nice, but I never would have known what to do if Josephine hadn't told me!

ROSIE said...

Is that anything like peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches with BBQ chips in the middle? :-)

I never would have guessed what to do with the cheese either!