Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sawubona

That's how to greet someone in Zulu - "Sawubona." It literally means, "I see you." The answer is "Yebo. Sawubona." - Yes. I see you.

At first I thought this was a rather strange greeting. If you are talking to someone, isn't it obvious that you see them? But now I love this greeting (dare I say I even understand it?), and here's why:

"Howareyoufinenicetoseeyouseeyoulater." That's a very typical American greeting/conversation that is often said to a person while walking in the opposite direction without stopping. Too few times do we slow down (or even stop!) and bother to find out how someone is really doing. How many times have you said, "I'm fine" (when you aren't) because you knew the other person didn't care, didn't have the time, didn't... whatever...

If I do nothing else today, I want you to know this: I see you. I hear you. I care about you. I love you... Yebo.

3 comments:

ROSIE said...

And not just "I see your physical form here in front of me", but "I SEE you...a spiritual being in a human body, with all of your emotions, needs, and everything that concerns you. You are significant. You matter."

I like this.

Same goes for truly HEARING someone. How often do we ask, "How are you?", but then cringe when someone actually goes on to tell us?! One of my favorite quotes goes something like this:

"With the gift of listening comes the gift of healing. It is possile to listen someone's soul into existence."

I like that, too.

Love you,
Rosie

beti said...

Annie - yebo sawubona.
much love, Beti

equichick8 said...

Yebo too.