Friday, January 4, 2008

And the Doorbell Rang....

Our house has become a hub for neighbourhood children to hang out. As soon as the first one comes over, it isn't long before they ALL come over, and our house is full of laughing, screaming, creative children who are soon covered in dirt, grass, popsicles and (hopefully) love.

There have been a few instances of children not wanting to play with other children because of skin colour. Each time we gathered all the children together and gently explained that everyone is made by God, everyone is special, and everyone is welcome in our house. We want our house to be a safe haven from issues "outside". This, of course, has opened up a lot of questions on the part of our own children ("Mommy, why won't so-and-so play with....?"), and we have had to explain some things to our kids that I wish, in a perfect world, didn't exist.

There are days when I wish they wouldn't come over, days when I long for quiet, but the Lord reminded me that ministry often occurs "off hours". It is not an 8:00 - 5:00 thing. It is often "inconvenient" to our wishes, but the rewards are far greater than the rewards of selfishness. And maybe, just maybe, these kids will feel the love of Jesus. That gives me reason enough to keep opening the door (and stocking my freezer with popsicles)!

2 comments:

Lisa De Vahl said...

All the best for 2008. Rather you than me... I admire you for opening the door... I'll play dead :)

Joyce E. Rempel said...

Ah, shades of Elisabeth Elliot - serving through the "inconveniences"

Blessings.