Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Maximum Security



This is a picture of our backyard fence. Kind of feels like being in a maximum security prison, doesn't it? Most people in South Africa have many security features on their homes designed to prevent break-ins: electric wire fences, razor wire along fence tops, walls, barred windows, gates, and security systems. When you live in a country that has the second highest murder and rape rates in the world, I suppose these measures are necessary. Even the cars here have several theft-prevention mechanisms.

The interesting thing is, the city I am from in California had the highest car theft rate in the nation, and people still didn't have as many anti-theft devices as they do here. Also, the U.S. has the highest rape rate and third highest murder rate in the world, but most people don't live behind bars and electric fences. Maybe Americans value their freedom too much to be bullied by fear?

Don't get me wrong; people in both countries use common sense. I am not advocating foolishness. But the fear here is oppressive; it keeps people from living life. I know people are going to rake me over the coals for saying that, but it's the conclusion I keep coming back to. I know people who won't leave the house after 7:00 p.m., people who won't visit the Union Buildings anymore, people who never leave their suburb, and people who always carry a panic button on them "just in case".

Yes, we need to be wise, but ultimately, our trust is in God and not electric fences. There is no safer place to be than inside the will of God (talk about maximum security!). Whether I die here in South Africa or as an old lady in the United States doesn't matter. My life is His, and my days are numbered by Him. "I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." - Acts 20:24

3 comments:

Shawn Stutz said...

I remember Johan saying that the fastest growing service was that of security systems. We're praying for you guys. Can't wait to see you Sunday! We are behind on the details, but anxious.

Chris said...

Debbie just told me about your blog. I am so excited about about what the Lord is doing in and through you and your family. I just thought I'd let you know.
Chris Cover

ROSIE said...

Amen, and Amen to what you've written, sis.