Monday, January 14, 2008

A Typical Day

Emma came home from school in tears today and sunburned to a crisp. Well, that's not entirely true. When I picked Emma up from school today, she never came out. So after searching for her, I found her out on the field, crying and scared.

Turns out today was athletic tryouts. This we knew, but what we didn't know was that athletic tryouts are mandatory for ALL Grade 4 students, it goes until 4:00 p.m., and each student was supposed to pack food, a water bottle, sunscreen and wear the color of their school "house"... none of which Emma did. How were we supposed to know this? Nothing was announced, nothing went home, other that the calendar of events listing "athletic tryouts" today.

When I approached one of the teachers, she said, "Ag, shame! Didn't one of the teachers tell you? " No, I replied, they didn't. "All the learners just know what to do because they've been here since Grade 1, you see." Yes, but surely we're not the only ones new here? Maybe we're the only ones new to this country, but surely there are other new students? "Ag, shame. Well, Emma must come again on Friday and Saturday for the finals. If she doesn't make the teams, she must sit and cheer for her house. Maybe you can talk to Emma's teacher." Yes, maybe. Except that more often than not, we don't know which questions to ask. We don't know what we "don't know" until it's too late.

This is a typical day in the life of an immigrant. When you hear people talk about culture shock, this is exactly what they mean. It's when everyone else just knows what to do, while you plod through each day trying to figure out what's going on, looking for a friendly face in a crowd of passers by. I don't know who cried more today - Emma or me.

4 comments:

Julie Westfall said...

Angela,
I am praying for you as I can relate to what you are saying. Life in a culture not your own is hard, life in an African culture seems impossible at times. The Lord is faithful to help us stumble through the learning process..... although I think I spent more time falling than the average Joe! You are doing an awesome job and I'm so glad that I get to read about your adventures on your blog.

Love,
Julie Westfall

Sweet Momma said...

Angela,
I already have an account when I comment on Julie's blog so you'll have to read my comments by Sweet Momma. I too am praying for you. Hearing your stories and hearing Julie's stories you both have gone and are going through similiar situations. I guess Africa is Africa even though the countries are far apart. I just found out about your blogs from your newsletter. I look forward to reading the past blogs you've posted and checking your blogspot regularly to read future blogs.
Love,
Nancy Rogers

Shawn Stutz said...

That's such a sad story. I'm almost crying in my office. The culture shock must come in waves. Hang in there and not that you loved and lifted up!

How's the orphan center adoption pictures/planning coming? Curious...

ROSIE said...

Sweet Sister, and Sweet Niece,

Please know that we continue to lift you up in prayers for all the challenges you face daily. Especially big hugs to Emma after such a difficult day.

All my love,
Dianne