Monday, January 21, 2008

The Reality of Life in SA

Last week Lucy's best friend from school was attacked. While she and her family were home eating dinner, three armed men broke into the house, beat up the family, pulled the children by the hair, threw them on the floor, tied them up, held guns to their head, and then proceeded to rob the house, taking whatever they wanted. When they had finished that, they sat down and ate the dinner still sitting on the table, and then proceeded to the living room where they watched a soccer game while the family was still tied up on the floor! When they were ready to leave, they threatened to crush the baby's skull if they called the authorities. They loaded up the "loot" into the family's two cars and drove off.

The really horrible thing is, this is the SECOND time this has happened since September to this family. I have seen Lucy's little friend, a nine-year-old, go from just blossoming to completely withering in fear. My heart breaks for her.

When you live in South Africa, you read stories like this every single day in the newspaper or hear them on the news. It has become "normal"... until it touches someone you know, or even yourself. There is a quickening migration out of South Africa to countries such as Australia, New Zealand and England. And there is an oppressive spirit of fear that lays thick over the city.

It is interesting for us, having come from the relative safety of the United States, to live here. We know that God has called us here - we have absolute peace about that - but even we, on occasion, have to fight feelings of fear that creep in. At times like this I turn to the Bible for comfort and reassurance of God's Sovereignty. I don't have all the answers, but I know where to find Truth. This is my strength today:

"Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away. Trust in the Lord and do good; DWELL IN THE LAND and enjoy safe pasture." - Psalm 37:1-3

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father." - Matt. 10:28-29

I would ask you to pray for Lucy's friend and her family. They need the hope of Jesus, and they need rest.

5 comments:

Shawn Stutz said...

wow... I'm so sorry to hear that. What a wretched moment. How do kids and a family recover?

God bless you in that ministry attempt. Have your kids felt shaken by that?

Anna said...

Shawn, my kids don't know yet. I'm not sure how to tell them. That family is not doing well; the mom is really questioning God and seeking answers. Please keep her in your prayers.

Pastor Joe said...

Hi, I'm a pastor in Wisconsin who has been to Pretoria twice, so far, on mission trips with Wesley Methodist Church across the street from Burger Park 'downtown'. I hope to come again later this year. I found your blog via an RSS on "Pretoria". Since coming to Pretoria in November 2004, I have been captivated by the people and land of South Africa and know that I do not understand or fully appreciate either, although the two missions have changed my life. This is why your self description of figuring out how to be an American African speaks to me. Also, being aware of how crime and poverty and HIV and the social changes that are powerful forces shaping so much of life for everyone, I too feel a small reflection of the trauma and uncertainty. I don't have any answers, but share similar questions, and a trust that God will be with us as we try to move faithfully forward. If it will be helpful, please let the family know that I, too, pray for them, their healing and protection, physically, spiritually, and emotionally; and that they find some comfort in a stronger sense of God's presence in their lives.

ROSIE said...

Oh, Angela. My heart is breaking for this family, and they will certainly be in our prayers. I'll add them to our church prayer chain as well (you and your family are prayed for weekly, too!) Please let them know that.

Are your children afraid that the same thing will happen to them?

There really are no adequate words at a time like this. If I could say one thing to Lucy, though, it would be what my children always say when there are no words to make it better: "Love is the best medicine". I know that Lucy's love of her friend will help bring a little piece of healing to her heart.

Nikita said...

Sorry to read things like this, this is why so many Saffas leave the country...crime is a problem! and you never know when it's your time... praying is all you can do