Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Things That Live in our House (Besides Us)


Slugs. Today when we came home for lunch, there was a huge slug in our dining room. The slugs in South Africa, while not as magnificent as the banana slug of the Pacific Northwest, are still YUCKY. They are big and circular - almost as wide as they are long - and look like small dill pickles. It was half dried out, but stuck amazingly well to our tile floor (it comes from being all muscle, I suppose). Maybe it stuck because I was trying to use a flyswatter to pick it up (I wasn't going to touch it!).

Geckos. There is a gecko loose in our bedroom. Dan said to leave it because it will eat mosquitos. I don't mind leaving it except when it's right over my head on the ceiling (what if it falls down on me while I'm sleeping?)

Stringy spiders. These things are scrawny and look like asterisks, but they move FAST. Good luck trying to kill them!

The occasional refrigerator science experiment. (I can't help it if the power keeps going out, or if no one wants to eat my leftovers!)

There are always any number of moths, mosquitos, ants, beetles and neighborhood children making themselves comfy in our house. That I can deal with!

No comments: