Monday, January 14, 2008

The Mouth of Sauron

What does this have to do with being an American in South Africa, you ask? I'll tell you!

Yesterday we were watching The Return of the King. Our kids have been begging to watch this, so we finally let them. When we got to this part, Lucy exclaimed, "Mom! He has Bovril all over his teeth! Eeewww! He needs to go brush them!"

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, Bovril is a classic South African spread, often put on top of buttered bread and topped with grated cheese. It's sort of like Marmite, only beef-based, brown, very strong, and very salty. I guess my kids are adapting well to South African culture... I never would have equated the Mouth of Sauron with Bovril (and how can I eat it now?)!

1 comment:

ROSIE said...

Having been introduced to Bovril during my years in England, I laughed to the point of tears after reading Lucy's comment! The only thing funnier would have been Vegemite...

Love
Dianne