Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Daily Resolve

"When you become absorbed by your culture, you become irrelevant... Day after day the world tries to influence you. The question is, will it indoctrinate you or will you indoctrinate it?" - Beth Moore

I'm doing this study on the book of Daniel. It is really challenging me to not let the world characterise who I am and what I become, but rather, Jesus. And it is hard when I am bombarded every day by ads, billboards, movies, whatever - telling me how I need to look and act, what products I need to buy, where I need to take my vacations, who I need to vote for and a host of other things.

In Daniel 1:8 it says, "But Daniel resolved..." To resolve is to decide firmly on a course of action. Our day to day life has to be characterised by firm determination, or we will achieve nothing; we will become like everyone else in our respective cultures. And that would be a waste.

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out..." - Matthew 5:13

2 comments:

ROSIE said...

Too many times we like to sit around in the salt shaker with all the other salt and talk about how great it is to be salty. And that's when we lose our taste. Salt was meant to be shaken and poured out.

When I was little, I thought salt was just for taste. Years later, I learned it was used to disinfect and actually kills germs. The further I go through nursing school, the more I know that salt is life. It maintains the critical fluid balance in your body. If your levels get too low, your heart can stop.

Kind of makes me want to go out and "salt" somebody by sharing the love of Jesus. Keeping the salt in the shaker is like withholding water from a dying man.

Anna said...

Yes, I was also thinking about all of the salt congregating together, and how sometimes things can be TOO salty! Thanks for your perspective. I love you, sis!