Saturday, March 14, 2009

Doctor/Dokter

I don't know what it is about going to the doctor in a foreign country that's so daunting to me, but it is. Maybe it's the idea of sharing intimate details about my health and body with someone who isn't a native English speaker... do they really understand what I'm saying? Or maybe it's the different philosophy of medicine...while the medical care is good here, it's quite different (when Emma had her tonsils removed, instead of giving her ice cream they gave her a bag of potato chips!). Whatever it is, it makes me feel lonely and culture-shocked. Especially when the news isn't all that great.

Yesterday I took my son to a neurologist. This was a check-up of sorts as he has had some issues since birth. The doctor was wonderful. I'm so thankful we found someone who listened and understood; I really can't complain. We got some news, however, that wasn't all roses (don't worry; he's fine. He's just not perfect, but then, are any of us?). I suddenly felt the distance between old home and new home keenly.

When life is tough we want something familiar to cling to, something comforting that convinces us everything will be okay. Most of us turn to family and friends. Some of us turn to things - food, a favourite blanket, a good movie. We hide from the world in an attempt to "recover." But when all of that is removed, I find that the only thing I have to hang onto is Jesus Himself, the very One we should turn to in the first place.

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." - I Peter 5:6-7

"Surely God is my help, the One who sustains me." - Psalm 54:4

No comments: