Sunday, March 22, 2009

Has It Really Been 18 Months?

We've been here 18 months now, and every six months or so I like to look back and think about what I've learned, what Africa has taught me. Some lessons I have been learning from Day 1; others are new, but as always, I find my love for Africa ever-increasing despite its challenges. Here's my latest assessment:
  1. Africa has taught me to be resilient. I have never met a more resilient people than South Africans. They can bounce back from their setbacks quicker than anyone I know, which brings me to #2:
  2. Africa has taught me to smile. A smile can cross cultural barriers, language barriers, or "I've had a terrible day" barriers! And... it's impossible to laugh without smiling first, so if you want to laugh more, smile more.
  3. When it's time for church, leave your troubles at the door. Even if the world (or your world) is falling apart outside, when it's time to worship God it's time to worship God. No exceptions.
  4. Africa has taught me that people are more important than tasks. Always. This one is tough for my Western mindset that likes to check things off lists and feel like I accomplished all my goals for the day, but really..... at the end of my life I'm not going to wish I had crossed more things off my list. If I have any regrets (and I hope I don't), it will be that I didn't spend enough time fostering relationships. Besides, "To Do" lists won't come to my funeral. People will. And I have a feeling that they'll remember more who I was than what I did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it when Africa creeps into the blood of those move there. There is nothing we South Africans love more than sharing the magic with those around us :)