Sunday, March 8, 2009

If I Could Choose Any Career, I Would...

Today I was at a meeting out in Soshanguve to prepare for an upcoming women's conference at one of the local churches. When the women were asked what they wanted to hear/learn, many of them said they wanted to learn how to start small businesses so they could support their families (most of these women are of a generation that was not allowed opportunities in either education or choices). When we asked them what sorts of skills they wanted to learn and what kind of businesses they wanted to run, one woman said that she wanted to learn how to make beaded jewelry. That, I could understand, for South African beadwork is stunning and intricate.

The next woman said, "I have some skills in baking, but that's not what I want to do with my life. I never wanted to be a baker. I want to own and operate a toilet paper factory!" I think I almost fell out of my chair! She continued, "Well, toilet paper isn't a perishable item, and EVERYONE uses it EVERY day. It's something you NEED. If I had the right machines to make it, I could sell it. I've already done research!"

At first glance it sounds funny. I would never have imagined that a woman would want to learn how to open a toilet paper factory (and can you really host a women's conference where that's one of the electives?), but on second thought, it's brilliant. Truly brilliant. Kudos to that woman for having a dream, for doing research, and for having the guts to be honest about who she is and what she longs to do with her life. She has my total admiration.

1 comment: