Saturday, February 21, 2009

First Impressions

I had a pretty uneventful trip to the U.S., which was nice. The only things worth mentioning about the 31-hour trip is the hairy-toed man who sat behind me on the airplane (on second thought....) and running into the Soweto Gospel Choir at Heathrow Airport. I did the whole crazy fan thing ("I LOVE you guys; you ROCK!").

Going back to my home town is a little like running into an old high school boyfriend. Nice but slightly awkward and surreal, like something from another lifetime. I can't shake this feeling of "It's so great to see you again but I'm glad I didn't marry you."

I saw so many people from my home church today. They are SO wonderful. Apart from the aforementioned surreal-ness (is that a word?), it is amazing to be somewhere where everyone knows my name and loves me. I'd almost forgotten what's that like. ("You need a cell phone? I have an extra one you can use. A hair dryer? No problem; I'll drop it off tonight!") Who am I, that I am so blessed by such wonderful people? Kindness is such a gift.

1 comment:

Sam and Shelley said...

Great to hear that your trip back was uneventful. Ours was a nightmare (I recounted the story on our blog). Praying that the Lord will bless your time back here in the States and help you recharge your batteries!