Tuesday, February 3, 2009

More on Free-Range Yoghurt

Okay, I read the small print. Here's what it says:

"Why our cows are happy, healthy 'Fair Cape Free Range' cows:
  • They live in super comfort in spacious surroundings
  • They can choose between the sun or shade
  • They eat only natural feeds
  • No artificial hormones added
  • They receive daily health check ups, and,
  • At Fair Cape, we're serious about keeping the environment in tip top shape"
I guess that's why they used plastic packaging.

Seriously, I am neither advocating nor speaking against free-range anything, but it seems to me that sometimes when we desire to treat animals "humanely", we do just that - treat them as though they are human. Even this doesn't cause harm, I suppose, except that the above-mentioned cows get far better treatment and medical care than most people who live in South African townships. I have a problem with that.

No comments: