Monday, February 23, 2009

On Picking and Choosing

Since I'm only back for two weeks, and most of that time will be spent meeting with people through church, I am really having to scramble to fit family and friends in. There just isn't enough time in the day to see everyone or do everything. But how do I pick and choose? I can't choose one family member over another or say that I'd rather see this person than that person.

It makes me think of Jesus. Some people complain that He hasn't come back soon enough. Some people think He ought to punish the "bad guys" faster, more severely, or just put an end to all the suffering now. But how could He pick and choose which of His creation goes to heaven or hell? "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentence." God takes His time because He loves us. He chooses all of us. The trouble is that we don't always choose Him.

1 comment:

Chris said...

It must be somewhat shocking to have people want to spend time with you; people who love you so much - it's great but overwhelming. Enjoy!