Monday, February 16, 2009

Going Home

In two days I'll be flying home. At least I think I'll be flying home. The trouble is, I've been living in South Africa for over a year now, and it's starting to feel like home as much as my "old" home, California, ever did.

It will be good to see family and friends, but there are things that - truth be told - I am nervous about:
  • having to drive on the right side of the road after mastering the left
  • no longer fitting into my home culture
  • having changed so much that my friends can no longer relate to me (and vice versa)
  • using South African English in America and being laughed at
  • experiencing reverse culture shock ("Why are the food portions so BIG?")
I will be gone for two weeks, and it will be good to see everyone again, but when the trip is over, I wonder if I will feel like I'm coming home or leaving home.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Enjoy the journey!

ROSIE said...

I will be praying for you throughout your trip, sis.