Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Disco

Yesterday I helped out at my children's school during their annual Valentine's Disco. It's really just a chance for the kids to eat boerewors rolls, buy sweets, and hang out with their friends after school while their favourite songs are played over the speakers. I was the assistant DJ, taking song requests, dedications, and handing out prizes to the best dancers, best dressed, and wackiest kids.

Being up on the stage gave me a great view of all the kids. Knowing some of their stories really tugged at my heart. One kid is neglected at home. One child's parents just divorced. One child is an incredible athlete but struggles tremendously in school. This child lives out in the township but comes to school in the city because his mom is a domestic worker. That child is paralyzed on half of his body, but still manages to play on the soccer team.

I don't remember much about the music that was played, how the kids danced, or even the food. What I remember most was looking out at these hundreds of children and just wanting them to do well in life, wanting all obstacles to be removed from their futures so they can stay the course and reach their full potential. I want every one of them to become who God created them to be.

Statistics say that some of them won't live until adulthood, some will make bad choices, some of them won't get the necessary nurturing or encouragement that they need, 30% of them will contract AIDS, and I guess what I am really wishing for is a perfect world. But I can pray for them, and that is no small thing. And while I'm volunteering at the school, I am going to love these kids as much as I can. They are this country's future leaders.

No comments: