Friday, February 13, 2009

What Do You Put on YOUR Toast?

My colleague raved so much about the joys of fish paste on buttered toast that I figured I should try it. The words "fish" and "paste" have never been put together in my vocabulary before, but far be it from me to pass up a food adventure. I like Bovril and Marmite, after all, so maybe I'm missing out on something good?

I bought the smallest jar, which looked just like a baby food jar filled with a thick pinkish-brown paste made from ground sardines, herring, mackerel and anchovies. [cringe]. When I opened it I was instantly taken back to my childhood and the rare times my cat got tinned cat food. Afterwards she would crawl up on my lap, purr contentedly, and breathe cat-breath into my face. This fish paste smells exactly like her cat breath.

I've gone too far to back out now, so I made Dan eat a piece of toast with me. We each made a toast to our... toast, and then took a bite. I regret to inform you that it also tasted like the smell of my cat's breath. Dan suggested that if you put it on rye crackers or a hearty grain bread it might taste better. I don't know...

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go clean my whiskers and take a nap in the windowsill.

3 comments:

:o) Rachel said...

Lol! That is so funny. My 3yo son saw the picture of your fish paste and said, "That is gross-o." Yes, son, it IS gross-o.

christoslife said...

I don't want to say i told you so but.....................

hingly said...

Mmm... fishpaste. One of the best things about coming home to South Africa is the jar of Peck's Anchovette in my fridge. I think I'll go make myself a fishpaste sandwich right now.