Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Reverse Culture Shock

Yes, it's true. One does experience reverse culture shock upon reentering one's home country. So far, here's what stands out to me as being bizarre:
  1. The food portions. I'm sorry, but they ARE big.
  2. The toilet paper. It's so soft and fluffy!
  3. The toilets themselves. There's so much water in them!
  4. The electricity. You have it! Even though there's no "load shedding" this year in South Africa, my power still goes out nearly every day.
  5. The things people complain about. I know I do it, too, so I'm not picking on anyone. However, my fellow Americans, you really do have it better than most people in the world.
It's really nice not to have to worry about losing power every day while cooking or getting ready in the morning, and I have enjoyed my "bathroom experiences" immensely, but I have to say I miss South Africa. I guess it's become home for me.

When you love someone, or some place, you tend to overlook its faults.

No comments: