Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bacteria Have Rights!

Yesterday I went to the grocery store and discovered a new product in the dairy aisle: free-range yoghurt.

I know what free-range eggs are (the chickens aren't cooped up and can run around as much as their little legs desire, thereby producing better-tasting eggs??), and I know what free-range beef is (happy cows come from California, as we all know), but free-range yoghurt?

I can just picture this Moses-shaped bacteria talking to the pharaoh of the petri dish "Let my lactobacillus bulgaricus go.."

I'm the sort of person who, when I go to the store, just wants to buy eggs. I get confused when I have to choose between medium, large, extra large, jumbo, grain fed, free-range, organic, fair trade, etc. No wonder people are stressed out!

But free-range yoghurt.... this one stumps me.

No comments: