Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Will Miss You, Too

Last night I awoke with a jump. There was a thunderstorm so near that the windows were rattling and the lightning was so frequent I could have read by the light. It's impossible to sleep through a storm that loud, so I just lay in bed and enjoyed it - all the more so as I leave today for two weeks. As the storm moved on and I drifted back to sleep I remember thinking, "I'll miss you, thunderstorms."

This morning on my way to take the children to school, I drove past acacia trees with thorns as long as toothpicks, beat-up taxis bringing workers into the city, fresh potholes in the road from last night's storm, bouganvillea climbing through the razor wire of high walls, and I savoured every sight and sound.

When I returned to my house to get ready for work, the electricity was out... again. I smiled. Africa was giving me its best send-off. And yes, Africa, I will miss you too.

No comments: