Thursday, January 15, 2009

First Day of School

Yesterday was the first day of school for my children. Yes, in South Africa the school year starts in January and ends in December. My kids were so excited to be back at school. When they came home, my ears were assaulted by a barrage of chatter from all three. "Guess what?" "Do you know who's in my class?" "There are new computers in the library!" "And THEN.."

I love listening to my children's excitement. It reminds me that God likes to hear about our day as well, and to talk to him as a child would talk to parents, not just complaining or asking for stuff, but spilling over with the events of the day, what made us happy, excited, nervous. "Guess what?" "Do you know what happened?" "There are new computers in the library!" "And THEN..."

1 comment:

Cathy Liggett said...

Hi, American in Pretoria --
I discovered you this morning when googling "Hospitals in Pretoria." I am writing a women's fiction book (manuscript due mid March to Tyndale)about 3 American women and a teenager who go to Mamelodi SA on a mission trip. Anyway -- in one scene the teenager is injured and I'm having her go to a hospital in Pretoria (imagine that!), but I have a few questions about the hospital -- a lot of blanks -- and am wondering if you'd be able to fill some of them in. My name is Cathy Liggett -- I live in Loveland, Ohio. My email is clig@fuse.net I'm sure with youre kids and life in general you may not have time to do so -- and I totally understand. Either way, it's been a pleasure reading your blog -- there's a sweetness and genuineness that shines through and blesses those who read it. Or maybe that's God smiling -- so happy with all your doing there. Best, Cathy