Thursday, January 29, 2009

Giving God our Best

"In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favour on Abel and his offering." - Genesis 4:3-4

How easy it is to give to God out of our leftovers, rather than give to Him from our firstfruits. Giving from our leftovers requires no faith. Even gifts of time - how often I "bargain" with God ("Okay, I can fit in an appointment with this person after I do this and that first."). But if a person comes to me, needs my time, and I have yet to do those other things.... I am not so quick to offer God my "firstfruits" of time.

In my culture we tend to hang on to our things - our time, our possessions - but I think God is pleased when we show faith and give to Him before we know if we will even have leftovers. Does it not all come from Him in the first place? I am challenged by this.

1 comment:

taichungimprov said...

Hi Hang in there, culture shock can be prolonged and come in very many disguises. You should go back to the States for a recharge of the old batteries and come back anew!