Monday, January 5, 2009

Road Trip, Day 4

Today we hung around and relaxed, went to the market to buy food for meals (it was a fun challenge to plan meals without the use of a fridge or ice chest) and enjoyed the scenery. Here are a few photos from our day:

The Police Department's Stock Theft Detection Unit vehicle (apparently stealing cattle and bringing it across the border is a huge problem): A man in a grey blanket. Wearing a blanket is tradtional dress, even in the summer (I don't know how they do it; I felt hot wearing a short-sleeved shirt!):Silver potjies. The ones in South Africa are usually made from cast iron, not aluminium (I don't think they call them potjies in Lesotho, but I only know the Afrikaans word!):The spiral aloe is the national flower of Lesotho and only grows in Lesotho, high up in the mountains. Stunning, isn't it?This is one of my favourite birds, which is found in Pretoria as well. We call them the Little Red Riding Hood birds because they look like they're wearing a red cape, but they're technically called Red Bishops:After a long day, Ben fell asleep on the front stoep, wearing Dan's jersey:"Where can I go from Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your Presence? If I go up to the heavens, You are there; if I make my bed in the depths, You are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:7-10

1 comment:

ROSIE said...

The spiral aloe is amazing! Thank you for taking the time to share your journey while you are in the midst of it.

Love
Rosie