Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Handling Disappointment

I really wanted to take a music class at UNISA (University of South Africa), but they require my original diploma (matric certificate), which mysteriously disappeared. I obtained a certified copy of my school transcripts which show every class I took, every mark I received, what my national test scores were and my date of graduation. But still, UNISA won't accept it. They want an original diploma, which, like I said, mysteriously disappeared. My old school won't issue another one. Ever been caught between two bureaucracies?

I have until the 22nd to produce the original, or my application will be canceled. I was really bummed (still am), so I took a long walk (when I do my best thinking) and came up with this:

1. Do I really trust that God's plan is best for me? If it is His will, He can produce the original diploma (and I'd really like to know where it went because I don't usually misplace things). If it isn't His will, then I have to trust that He has something better in mind for me. Am I willing to entrust my life, my plans and my desires to Him, or do I think my way is better?

2. One of the biggest lessons I can teach my kids is how to handle disappointment. If I mope around the house, get angry or complain, what am I teaching them? If I show them how to pray, how to trust, how to do their best, when to let things go, and that it's okay to feel disappointed every now and then, I am giving them skills for life (sigh.... but it's so hard!)

"Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You." - Psalm 9:10

No comments: