Saturday, January 3, 2009

Road Trip, Day 2

We woke up to discover a stunning view outside our rondavel: Here's the view from the other direction:We decided to be adventurous and go on a horse trek. The Basutho ponies are a special breed of horses which are amazingly suited to the rugged terrain of Lesotho. I guess that's why they're only found in Lesotho! Really, getting around by horse is the only way to go. In high mountains with no roads, horses are invaluable:Dan's mom was the only one who had any experience riding a horse, so for us it was quite an experience. Our trek took us over mountains, across streams, alongside a gorge, to a fabulous view of Maletsunyane Falls, the highest single-drop waterfall in southern Africa (196 meters). It also holds the Guiness Book of World Records for the longest commercially-run abseil, so if you're into that, go to Semonkong!
On the way back, we passed two young girls who were coming back from Semonkong town. They live in a village on the other side of the mountain. It takes them at least two hours to walk to town, do their shopping, and walk two hours back. To think that it takes at least half a day to go to the store made me realise how much I take for granted (I complain that the shops close at 6:00 each evening!).
At the end of the day I am struck with a sense of the vastness of the world, the greatness of God, and how small and easily self-absorbed I am.

"Oh Lord, You have searched me and You know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue, You know it completely." - Psalm 139:1-3

No comments: