Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Home Sweet Home?

When we crossed the border from Lesotho into South Africa, I sighed a huge sigh of relief. "It's good to be home," I said to the border guard as I handed him my American passport. Wait a minute - that's puzzling... I crossed the border into South Africa, and while I live there, is it home? Would I feel more at home if I were at a U.S. border crossing?

Living in another culture is like having one foot in two worlds. The longer we are in South Africa, the more familiar it comes, the more "at home" we feel. But the fact remains that we are Americans, and most of our history and lives have occurred there. If I were to go back, would I feel less at home now that I've lived in South Africa, or would the culture come rushing back, like catching up with an old friend?

I wonder sometimes if I will ever fully belong to either culture, having been impacted by both. They both have their quirks, their strong points, their flaws. I love them both, for they make up who I am. I hope I can freely move between the cultures, bridge the gap, and learn a little each day. I hope it gives me a better perspective on the world, and a greater love for people. That's worth the sometimes-disconnected feeling of having one foot in two worlds.

"Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household." - Ephesians 2:19

1 comment:

Chris said...

Perhaps the curtain has been lifted that we're not really at home in this world after all.