Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hidden Blessings

If you read my post awhile back about handling disappointment, you'll know my paperwork deadline for taking a music class at UNISA was today. I had to produce an original document from my home country that they wouldn't reissue, and UNISA wouldn't accept the certified copy that they DID issue. Ah, the joys of being stuck between two bureaucracies....

So today... while I thought about it several times, wondering if the paper would show up at the last minute (it didn't), I was also at peace. Sad, but at peace. I know God must have a better plan.

I think God knew it could be a difficult day for me, so He provided little pockets of blessing all throughout the day. One came in the way of having lunch with a new friend and enjoying some wonderful, encouraging conversation. The other came in the way of two visitors this afternoon (sometimes I think there is a neon sign over my house that says, "Stop here unexpectedly!") I think God knew I needed some distraction, and there is no better distraction than building relationships with people.

Tonight, as I get ready to go to sleep, while there is still a small ache in my heart, I am mostly filled with gratitude. It is strange but wonderful. God knows the desires of my heart, and I have no doubt He will fulfill them in ways I never dreamed possible. In the meantime, there are hidden blessings each day - like tailor-made hugs from God - that remind me I am known and loved.

3 comments:

Sam and Shelley said...

Wow. Definitely one of those times that you just have to trust that God knows best. I appreciate you blogging about this because I'm hoping to work on a doctorate in theology once we're over there and this really helps me figure out what all I need to make sure I have before we make the final move.

Pray for us. We're going to be in Mafikeng and Mmabatho the first couple of weeks of February visiting other missionaries and getting a feel for what we will be doing once we make the big move there.

God bless!

Anna said...

You must stop by Pretoria on your way to/back from Mafikeng and Mmabatho! Are you flying into OR Tambo or into Botswana? (by the way, you probably already know this, but Mmabatho means "Mother of Nations" in Setswana. I have a good friend by that name).

Sam and Shelley said...

We're flying into Tambo. 7 hour layover there in Joburg and then catch a small plane into Mmabatho. We'll have the opportunity to go into some of the Tswana villages while there and are greatly looking forward to it. My wife will be meeting with some of the administrators at NWU to discuss some volunteer teaching in the veterinary technician program that she can do once we're there. It's going to be a busy visit but I am so excited to see the doors that the Lord is opening for us over there. Unfortunately, our travel itinerary doesn't leave us any time to get up to Pretoria (which is a city that I really want to visit) but we'll probably be making at least one more visit to S Africa before we make the move and Pretoria will definitely be on our visit list.

Praying for you!
Sam