Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Random Thoughts on School From A Sick Foreigner

I've been sick for two days and feeling pretty uninspired, but here's a few random thoughts:
  • We watched a video on astronomy, different galaxies and star formations, and the vastness of the universe, and afterwards my daughter Lucy said, "I think God is so big that compared to Him I am one millionth of a grain of peri peri powder!" This is funny for two reasons: 1) I love spices, so she is definitely a girl after my own heart, and 2) peri peri powder is a hot chili powder - REALLY hot - and very South African. (Lucy, you are officially bi-cultural! And you know what? Being small isn't a bad thing! God loves and knows us; we are special to Him no matter what our size is)
  • Our kids have to learn a musical instrument in school. Their choices are the glockenspiel or the marimba. I love Africa! (but please, choose the marimba!)
  • I still don't understand why the teachers here yell so much. I don't think kids should be terrified to ask a question in class. It really is a different culture here, especially in the academic setting. I am trying to figure out if I should talk to the headmaster at the risk of looking like the "overbearing, opinionated American" that the rest of the world hates, or teach my kids how to deal with yelling teachers. Or both.

No comments: