Saturday, January 31, 2009

Childhood Imagination

I remember as a child making doll clothes out of fabric scraps, and even using aluminium foil to make "astronaut suits" for my Barbies, but my daughter, Lucy, has taken the creativity gene to a whole new level: she made a complete line of Barbie fashions out of - get ready for this - popped balloons (the doll sitting down is a mermaid wearing a recycled book cover).

I remember as a kid I also used to play "mad scientist" in the kitchen. I was sure that if I put the right ingredients together (mustard, dill pickle juice, unidentifiable leftovers, a few potato chips...) I could invent the world's greatest food. When I wasn't busy doing that I wanted to be a chemist and a ballerina.

Why do we lose that imagination when we grow up? Are we too busy being adults (and what is that supposed to mean)? I can be a responsible, productive member of society AND still be creative, can't I? I'm 36 now, but I think I'll go dust off some of that childhood imagination and do something fun (like get into my car and pretend it's the Zamboni at an ice rink).

No comments: