Monday, December 19, 2011

Monday Quote

"Daring to accept myself and receive love for who I am in my nakedness and vulnerability is the indispensable precondition for genuine transformation. But make no mistake about just how difficult this is. Everything within me wants to show my best 'pretend self' to both other people and God. This is my false self - the self of my own making. This self can never be transformed, because it is never willing to receive love in vulnerability. When this pretend self receives love, it simply becomes stronger and I am even more deeply in bondage to my false ways of living...

"How terrifying it is to face my naked and needy self - the self that longs for love and knows it can do nothing to manipulate the universe into providing the only kind of love I really need. The crux of the problem is that I cannot feel the love of God because I do not dare to accept it uncondtionally. To know that I am loved, I must accept the frightening helplessness and vulnerability that is my true state."
- David Benner, Surrender to Love

1 comment: