Thursday, December 1, 2011

Teddy Bear Surgeon

When I was little I wanted to be a chemist -
mix potions, invent new vaccines to
save the world.

When I was little I wanted to be a ballerina -
dance on my toes, gracefully
arabesque across the stage.

When I was little I wanted to be a musician -
sell out concert halls, pierce the air with
flying cadenzas.

But I grew up...

Traded hands of ambition for
hands of a mother,
shelved childhood dreams.

I never did invent new medicines but
I have soothed the brow of a feverish child
late at night.

I never did learn port de bras but
I have elegantly reattached the spinal column
on a teddy bear.

I never did play the cello but
I have musically rocked a baby to sleep,
prepared a mealtime symphony.

And when my children grow up, forget me,
my wrinkled hands shall dust that red cape,
tie on childhood dreams,

go save the world.

3 comments:

wakeupcowboys said...

You've already started. I dream with you and for you.

Jeff said...

Love this. I've made a few trips out here just to re-read.

Anna said...

Thank you. That means a lot to me.